Sunday, March 10, 2013

[My Thoughts on this] Kanye West Goes On Another Rant Dissing Justin Timberlake's Suit & Tie, Why He Hates Business Men & The Grammy's Can Suck His D*ck!




               I have always said that Kanye West is one of my biggest influences in music. And although many may have seen this and thought that this was a bad thing like "oh there he goes again, the fame got to his head again." I saw it and I thought, "Oh shit, this dude is mad." But to me mad is good. Its good cuz it means that he still cares enough to get mad. Now this could just be speculation on my part but to me what he meant by that Justin Timberlake line, wasn't exactly a diss to JT more like a diss to what JT represents to corporate side of the music industry. Again, I SAID THE CORPORATE SIDE not the artistic side or even the musical side.
               I say this because, although contrary to popular belief, the music industry is still very racist, just not racist in the way you readily recognize. It's racist in the way that you can have two equally talented artist, one black and one white, have them sing the same song, and no matter how equal their performance was, the white artist would still be considered more likely to sell more units. WHY? because somewhere in the corporate world of the music industry their are people with statistics claiming that fairer skin artist do better on charts because of there ability to spread across multiple demographics. (i.e. get that POP money)
               Now, is this always true for every artists? NO. There have been many case where despite what the statistics say and despite what the demographic projections are, artist transcend into that higher echelon of record sales and venue accommodations. Jay Z, Beyonce, Black Eyed Peas to name a few, but not enough to say that it's a fair game. So much so, that even after being away from music for so long and not even having a single in full rotation for a month yet, JT not only has a commercial slot to promote his album during but was also invited to perform at this past Grammy Award ceremony.  The same ceremony that nearly, except for a few awards, forgot about the R&B and hip hop genre. And thats no disrespect to JT because I am definitely a fan, but he's been out of music for a FEW YEARS not a one, a few. While Kanye won the "Best Rap Album of the year" the year before and still barely got a nod.  And that to me is why I think Kanye was mad. ~alx.O

No comments:

Post a Comment